Adult Mental Health First Aid
Two Day Course
Developed by MHFA Wales, this two-day course qualifies delegates as mental health first aiders. Delegates will get a deep understanding of what mental health is and what factors can affect wellbeing. The course teaches delegates practical skills to spot the signs of mental illness and gives them the confidence to step in and support a person who needs assistance.
Who should attend?
This course is suitable for those who want to gain the necessary skills to have a non-judgmental conversation, recognize the signs and symptoms of common mental health issues and effectively guide a person towards the right support.
What you will learn?
- Why Mental Health First Aid?
- What is depression?
- What is mental health?
- Impact of mental health issues
- Stigma and discrimination
- The Mental Health First Aid action plan
- Symptoms of depression
- Rick factors for depression
- Depression in the workplace
- Suicide figures
- Alcohol, drugs and mental health
- First aid to assist a suicidal crisis
- Non-judgmental listening skills
- First aid for depression
- Treatment and resources for depression
- What is an anxiety disorder?
- First aid for anxiety disorders
- Crisis first aid after a traumatic event
- Alcohol, drugs and anxiety disorders
- Treatment and resources for anxiety disorders
- Cognitive distortions and cognitive behavioral therapy
- Personality disorders
- Eating disorders
- What is a psychosis?
- Risk factors for psychosis
- Alcohol, drugs and psychosis
- Treatment and resources for psychosis
- Bipolar disorder
- Warning signs of developing psychosis
- Crisis first aid for acute psychosis
- Recovery and building resources
- Action planning for using MHFA
There is no formal assessment for this course but delegates must complete all sections of the course.
On completion of the course, delegates will receive a Mental Health First Aider certificate.